Started with this 1973 donor bike from my brother-in-law and just started ripping it apart and hoping I could get it back together one day. I did almost everything in my garage with a cutting wheel / grinder and spray paint. My buddy welded on a couple straps to mount the seat. The geometry isn’t quite right for the springs to really work, but i like the looks of them. The tank is big and needs some sort of graphic to break it up some… i’m thinking a spade with a 13 on it or something.
A couple things you can’t see (besides the battery and starter that are no more); i replaced the points with a Boyer Bransden Micro Power electronic ignition, the carbs are new mikuni sliders which of course replaced the vacuum style stock carbs.
To eliminate the battery I had to install a permanent magnet alternator system. A guy on eBay sells a nice bracket he fabs to mount the new stator from a GSXR 750 (which is now stationary) and then used a Banshee flywheel and a Goldwing regulator/rectifier. There are plenty of options for all 3 components that make up this 3 phase system.
Not sure how long I’ll keep this bike or if I start other XS projects, but this was cool and had fun transforming it. Thanks to all on this site that inspired me to tackle this project after seeing their great creations.
COMMENTS HAVE MOVED TO OUR FACEBOOK GROUP - CLICK BELOW
VISIT FACEBOOK GROUP HERE!