Jarrett- Wabi Sabi

xs650-chop-noid-photo_(2)

Wabi Sabi is a Japanese phrase that is used to describe something that is beautiful because of it’s imperfection.  Here in the States, the closest thing is the concept of “perfect patina”. Since I was a boy, I would always drool over old cars, especially the ones driving around with a nice coat of surface rust.

xs650-chop-noid-photo_(4)

I never outgrew it, and so that is the inspiration for my second ever build (my first XS650 build).

xs650-chop-noid-photo_(5)

It has a vintage Hurst Indy shifter from the 70’s, 4″ stretch in the custom hardtail, forward control for the rear brake only, Honda CB200 tank detunneled in the rear with a one off gas cap, and Chevy connecting rods as the footpegs.

xs650-chop-noid-photo_(11)

xs650-chop-noid-photo_(12)

Comments

1. Sean from boston says:

That hurst shifter is super bad ass man looks great all togather the tank looks pretty cool for a cb tank on an xs

2. El Gaucho says:

Forgot to mention that the Trinity knot design on the tank and battery box is a stencil I made off a tattoo I got on my left arm. I figured if I ever was to open up shop and actually do what I love for a living, that would be my logo and the shop would be called Trinity Cycles.

3. Barney says:

Love the foot pegs. The bike is sorta Mad Maxish.

4. fish says:

like the conecting rods

It works for me. You can see that a gear head owns this xs650. Awesome how it turned out for a second build. Any other plans for it ? I agree that the connecting rods and hurst shifter make this build all original.

6. El Gaucho says:

Further plans include fabricating a fork brace for it, shaving the left side caliper mounts that are unused, and riding the ever loving crap out of it. If I feel so compelled, I may rephase the motor over the winter. Highway rides make my hands numb.

7. Colocation says:

Barney you are so right Mad Max! I haven’t seen anything to speak of recently but this is sharp.

8. El Gaucho says:

Well, I decided to open up shop and so “Trinity Cycles” is born. I have about 4 projects going on right now and 3 more waiting in the wings. If I get any busier, I might have to get a bigger place and quit the day job. You can check out the other stuff at the Trinity Cycles facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trinity-Cycles/232033090140215 Feel free to leave comments if you wish.

9. El Gaucho says:

I’ve got 5 bikes going on at the same time here, and I’m just about done with another XS, so I’m putting Wabi Sabi up for sale in case anyone is interested. The bike is in Eastern PA, but I’d be willing to work with someone who would need it shipped. If it’s within 3-500 miles, I might even just bring it out myself.

10. norm younger says:

Love the shifter. How much stretch is in the rear section?

11. El Gaucho says:

4 inch stretch. I ended up keeping this XS and plan on upgrading some things over this winter along with two other builds. Another XS650 has left the shop and will be up on this site soon. Look for “Unsprung Hero” to see the next XS, and this winter I’ll be working on another XS I’m currently calling “New Leaf”, which will hopefully be complete by next spring (no pun intended).

12. Dennis says:

that bulky tank with the center pads, the pegs, the shifter; all contribute to making this stand out. not familiar with the CB200, are those pads stock? also wondering about the clutch? I look forward to seing whats next.

13. El Gaucho says:

Center pad is stock. As for the clutch, once I’m rolling, I don’t use it except to downshift. I reach over with my right hand for downshifts. I’ve been meaning to get video of me riding it just to show how it’s done. This was the second bike I built with this configuration and it works so much better than having a foot clutch.

14. El Gaucho says:

I did a time lapse video of a Wabi Sabi ride. Kinda long, but I figured I’d post up the link anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUHnh6q9k4w&list=UUBmzeM9ciaxeyTXrYMSZyZw&index=7&feature=plcp

15. El Gaucho says:

Sold Wabi Sabi about a month ago to start the next build. Next build is a Harley, but right after that comes another XS, so hopefully I’ll have that done before the season is over…..