THE MAMBA

xs_650_THE_MAMBA_001

it’s not the 70’s anymore

Write about your XS650.: This is a 650 that I built last year for a customer down in Portland OR.
As with most of the bikes I deal with…it was an absolute mess when I got it, and after tons of mods, and the usual headaches that go along with any build The bike ended up looking just the way the customer wanted. The NOS Carlise tires were a real score for this build.

noid-THE_MAMBA_002

I got them at an estate sale…I just wish the guy would have ahd more of them. You just can not find these tires any more. They were super abundant in the 70’s…problem is it’s not the 70’s anymore. On this bike I used a ’72 Itallian Harley 250 scrambler tank (the AMF era Harley’s) and it just fits the bike great.

noid-THE_MAMBA_004
The bike has no paint…it’s all powder coated (or ceramic coated for the cocktail shaker exhaust) matte black. Just a few chrome highlight pieces here & there.

noid-THE_MAMBA_005
xs_650_THE_MAMBA_001
All-in-all I am quite pleased with the outcome, and look forward to my next build. Anyone interested in having a bike built…or needing work done to their existing bike…feel free to contact me about it.

Roger
stcustoms@live.com
(425) 823-4374

Comments

1. Ted says:

I’m digging the styling. It kind of reminds me of what’s coming out of

The NOS Carlise tires were definitely a real score. Tires can really be used to give a bike character. I just spent the last bit of my cash on some new tires for my rides which both should be done within the next couple weeks here.

2. aesacove says:

Love those tires

3. Tim crash81 says:

flat black dritty raunch look… Love it.! To me it says this bike is a through back to the days of hard core mortorcycle riding. Loud and proud.

4. chris says:

what size shocks are those?

5. Rusty Nutz says:

For a swingarm bike, I like it. Looks great blacked out and with big knobby tires.

6. RJ from the ole school says:

I really like the look this builder was aiming for,,,,,,It reminds me of the smaller frame bikes of the mid 50’s and early 60’s like the Harley Hummers I use to see new on the showroom floor,,,,I would have died for one ( too low on funds then ). The blacked out skelletonized bikes are popular with builders today,,,,even Harley offers some night train models. The slight upswept megs look good from behind and the solo seat and fat front tire really brings back the old dirt tracker 50’s look. I’m currently building a street tracker from a basket case,,,,thanks to this web site for all the great photos that help me get enthusiastic again about building and riding,,,,,hope to send in a photo of mine when its finished