Where to begin with this contraption? Almost everything on this bike has given me fits in some way or another, but with each problem i learned a lot and the fixes helped get the bike to what was in my head. I bought the seat off egay 4 years ago and knew one day I’d build a bike around it. It took about 3 years to get the bike to where i’d visualized it and where it’s functional.
I knew i wanted a flat-track inspired bike. Having looked at Falcon motorcycles for inspiration I set out to make my own modest version. I have none of Ian’s talents so my own version is a much-paled hommage to his creations. But I am proud nonetheless for working through the challenges and not accepting workarounds.
Everything but the motor has been worked over some how. The motor ran when i got it so I didn’t do anything to it. Dave Huntress at TanksByTigman.com did the hardtail. Most know Dave’s work and his talent is undeniable.
I worked with a guy off of Ebay for the custom length leaf spring front end. Amazingly my measurements weren’t all messed up and the front end slid on with only 1 problem. I had instructed him to make a 7/8 stem which he did, however I couldn’t find the right timken bearings to swap out the stock ball bearings. If i had requested a 1 in stem I’d a been fine lol. So after a couple weeks of hunting with no luck, I contacted Steve Sheldon at Troy fab. Some people just deserve all the success in the world and Steve is one of those guys. Steve worked with me to come up with a 1in neck stem that was threaded to 7/8 on both ends so I could run the HD timken neck bearings.
The bars are more function that form and are the one area i am still considering changing. They were stock sportster bars that I cut and welded 7/8 ends on to run the yamaha controls. They are a bit wide for my taste but they help with the steering. Considering lopping off a few inches in the middle to tighten things up a bit.
The front brake setup came about pretty quickly after scoring the HD master cylinder at a swap a couple years ago. Using that and my buddy’s donated front ri off his 81 shovel and the 10 in rotors, I used the yammy stock caliper and just had to weld some brackets to the leafer to keep it in place. Shimmed it and all is good.
The rear brake is a completely different story lol! After literally about 10 days trying to get the rear drum seup to work I thought i had it finally figured out. Fast forward to bike week this last March and i am cruising to Willies Tropical Tattoo when the ZIP TIES i’d put on to hold the rear brake stay snapped and sent the brake stay around and around slapping me in the back at 30 mph plus! Mental note – brake stays use 2 BOLTS for a reason.
So got back bummed and agitated at myself for being a dumbass. But scored a brand new 19in rim from a swap. Got a complete rear brake setup inc caliper and master cyl off ebay for a 2004 FLHTCI. Had to rebuild the MC but it works. Cut my 04 dyna forward control setup down to work as a shifter and made a simple bracket to actuate the pedal. A bit tricky to get used to due to the angle but i am thinking about remaking the bracket with some holes to allow for some adjustability. Picked up a Yamaha-to-HD rear 32 tooth sprocket from Mr. Lucky’s and in under 3 hours I had rear disk brakes, a better looking rear wheel setup and much cleaner brake setup to boot.
The headlight is a basic Taiwan Ted one and i made the bracket to keep it held steady. Some might say overkill, and i could have just used a simple bit of metal to keep it in place but wanted to ry something different. The pipes are the stock headers with some cocktail shakers stamped “Made in England” that i got from a dude over at the chop cult. Rear fender is just some front fender flipped over. The taillight is a score from a car swap meet that i rebuilt thhe guts on to get to work. And i hope someone picks up on the pegs!
Put in a PAMCO ignition which my battery promptly destroyed. So thanks to PAMCO Pete for sending another one at no cost. The PAMCO is the beesknees!! 1-2 kicks when cold. had to replace the stator as the chaging system was whacked when i got it. And swapped in some brand new Mikuni VM 34’s. She runs and idles great now!
It’s up for sale on egay now to make room for the next one. If it doesn’t sell now i’ll tear it down for paint and try again later.
Thanks for letting me tell my story – This ones been a long build for sure!
COMMENTS HAVE MOVED TO OUR FACEBOOK GROUP - CLICK BELOW
VISIT FACEBOOK GROUP HERE!