BMXS

Joe Cupp – This is my first bike build and we started it in October of 2010. The bike is an 83 heritage special. My friend Chris Baun helped me trouble shoot the electrical and we got it running. The intention of this build was to teach myself how to trouble shoot, fabricate, rewire, tune and conquer any issues that may arise. Everything on the bike was done in house without the help of any commercial shops.

The entire build would not have been possible without old BMX friends that now ride motorcycles. I wanted to make sure my frame was straight and welded on perfectly so I asked my friend Judd Linder to TIG weld it for me in December of 2010. He’s a millwright by trade, so I was sure the job was done right. Once that was done, my old business partner and good friend Steve Luckett took me under his wing and taught me the basics of metal fabrication. I learned a lot over that winter.

It instilled the desire to turn my garage into my own little man cave. Steve is responsible for all the really tech features on the bike. He frenched in the Jim Beam sight glass and the pipes were also his brainchild. The machine work was done by another good friend, Bob Millerleile. He made the brass gas cap, wheel spacer for the 21 inch narrowglide and a bunch of misc bungs.

After all the fabrication was done, Kerry Sayre powder coated the frame, triple trees, motor mounts and a bunch of small odds and ends. The Tins were done by Josh Scott of old school helmets(digthelid.com). Reassembly was pretty smooth until it was time to wire everything up. I have never wired anything before, so I made a bunch of mistakes and blew a bunch of fuses!! I couldn’t have done the wiring without my friends Shaun Jordan and Nathan Diclaudio. They kept me calm when I wanted to throw the bike off a cliff.

The carbs were completely torn apart, cleaned and re-jetted. Once the bike was finally on the road the charging system died an I had to swap out the electronic ignition and install a Pamco and Hugh’s PMA kit. Everything else on the actual motor is stock. I dropped a few teeth off the rear sprocket to lower the rpms on the highway. This is a single kick bike and it’s reliable as hell!!  I can’t believe how well this thing handles and it’s now my daily rider.

•  Owner: Joe Cupp
  • FORKS
  • Type: Stock
  • WHEELS
  • Front:  21 Narrowglide with Avon Speedmaster
  • Rear:  Stock Heritage special with Kenda tire
  • Photography:  Joe Cupp

Comments

1. pratstyle says:

Looks awesome.. i have a bird frame as well.. because of the old supergoose.. pipes are sick.. love the site glass… great build!

2. Jangus says:

That was the best write up I’ve seen on here in a while thanks. Nice work really nicely done bike

3. El Gaucho says:

I agree with the above, plus……..Holy Pipes! I can honestly say that is THE FIRST time I’ve ever seen pipes run like that. Keep it movong so you don’t melt the tire, I guess, lol. Looks good, bro.

4. pickles says:

Really dig your build! Old friends helping out always makes it easier. Killer bike!

5. Joe Cupp says:

I appreciate the comments! This bike was a blast to build and ride…

6. turdherder says:

You’ve put a original twist on the pipes (no pun intended). I’d like to see a few close up shots of how you threaded them thru the tail section and behind the engine. Also love the 21″ on the front. Nice job!

7. Jett says:

toooooo cool for school my friends .

8. Jarrett says:

Joe Cupp is now an authority on XS650’s. If I ever have any problems or issues, I call him first. Him and his buddies did that bike right! They did it themselves in each other’s garages, in each other’s company. Joe pretty much put my bike back together at the beginning of this summer in one night and I’ve been jamming on it since then without an issue! NICE GUY JOE CUPP FOR LIFE!

9. Luis Nutz says:

Joe Cupp 4lyf, yo.

10. RJ from the ole school says:

Paint sceme is an eye catcher and running dual pipes behind the frame is unusual,,,,,old style Z bars still look good on any bike,,,,the TRACKER I’m building doesn”t even come close to what these thugs have built,,,,,great bike,,,top notch craftsmanship for a garage build

11. adam andrella says:

awesome.. i always click on this site looking for new xs650 to be posted.. checked it today and soon as it loaded it up there it was haha, ive personally got to see this bike on two different occasions (lowbrow getdown N road to valhalla) up close and it is sweet…. great paint, gas tank is sick, and exhaust is one off badass.. cool dude too. good job joe.. ever get that pizza lol

12. dr ron says:

Very well done,! the pipes are realy a one off,never seen that done before ,cool bike ,nice dimensions, love the 21 in front and the.killer paintjob ,everything works for this bike,hope to see more of this builder(s)..dr ron

13. CruzBoos says:

Well done Joe! Attention to detail is important and you got that covered. Glad to see my favourite colour on your bike and your exhaust has me interested. Don’t ever stop caressing her since she deserves every thing you do.

14. Luis Nutz says:

Gimme a “J!”

15. Luis Nutz says:

C’mon you guys ffs gimme a “J!”

16. Geezerman says:

SWEET !! Pipes and sight glass are super cool innovations. NICE !

17. Tables says:

Nice ride man, love the feel you have achieved with this build. These babies kick arse and hand unbelievably well. Enjoy the sun on your face and the bugs in your teeth.

18. Black Rose says:

Josh did a great job on the paint, I originally saw your tank on the CoastAribrush.com web site. Love the Freak drops.

Well planned build, You all done good.

19. GUY says:

REAL NICE, WOULD’NT CHANGE A THING.

20. josh - OSH says:

Bike looks great man! One of my favorites!

21. Thereallarryreid says:

If lady gaga was a motorbike this is it!