Unsprung Hero

xs650-chop-photo (4)

Jarrett – I had been meaning to submit pics of this bike for some time, but I ended up selling it before it was finished.  I figured it was better late than never, and I’m hoping the gentleman I sold it to will post an update once he is finished with it.

xs650-chop-photo(3)

I went through the bike replacing or fixing things that were shady.  The sissy bar was the first thing to go, as it served better as a whip antenna.

xs650-chop-photo (3)

I reused the material to fab up the “stinger” fender strut and tail light bracket in the last pic.  The bike has been fitted with an 18 tooth front sprocket and a 32 tooth rear, which worked really nice and made the bike feel much more tame than the other XS I posted a while back “Wabi Sabi”.

xs650-chop-photo (2)

I liked the setup so much I’m considering putting the same sprockets on Wabi.

xs650-chop-IMG_8494re
Thanks, Jarrett

Comments

Tire size gives it a nice profile. Very Cool Bike. WABI-SABI-HOBBY !

2. Dennis says:

jarret, you did a nice job. The stance, the flow of the exhaust, and the handlebar/front end relationship all contribute to a very good look. not a big fan of the frisco-style tank, but I don’t think I’d change it, it works well here. also dig the new&improved fender strut: that sissybar was awful! 3 questions: are those stock triple trees? How do you like the sound of the exhaust? when you say ‘more tame’, is that a good thing? not sure what you mean there. Thanks. – Dennis

3. El Gaucho says:

The front end is off a Kawasaki Vulcan, not sure what year or size, I’m thinking it was off a 750? And yes, tame is a good thing unless you like to lose the feeling in your hands and feet at speeds above 55. Wabi Sabi is almost impossible to ride on the highway. I’m probably going to remedy that this winter with a sprocket change.

4. Guy says:

I’M REALLY DIGG’IN FORK BOOTS ATM, REALLY BOLSTERS THE OLE’ SKOOL LOOK.

5. Dennis says:

ah, ok, thanks for the explanation. any chance you could put together a chart or something inre to the merits of different sprocket combos? We could use a bit more ‘garage tips’ here, IMHO. haven’t seen much of that kinda stuff lately. In any case, keep up the good work!

6. El Gaucho says:

If I remember correctly, I believe the stock setup is 17/34. Overdriving the gearing is acheived by either increasing the front sprocket tooth count, or decreasing the rear sprocket tooth count. Lower RPMs on the highway are the result. As far as I know 18/32 is the farthest you can get these bike overdriven. I like it, still plenty of torque and much less vibration.

BTW, if you want to check out more pics you can check out my FB page.

7. El Gaucho says:

The brakes were in great working order, and the welds were sound. What else would make it a “death trap”? And is this Rich from Daddy G Cycles?

8. El Gaucho says:

Let me also clarify, The bike was already chopped when I bought it. I fixed the sissy bar setup and the rear brake, and inspected the welds. The welds weren’t nice to look at, but they were sound. No cracks, no excessive overlap or undercut. I also made the seat bracket and fixed a carb leak. There were things on the bike I would have loved to change if given the chance, but purely for aesthetic reasons. If it was a 10 point show bike, I would have gotten 3 times what I sold it for. I built Wabi Sabi from the ground up. If you had the chance to see both bikes side by side in person, you would see why I was asking twice the price on Wabi. If you have contact with the current owner, please have him contact me if he has any concerns.

…and really aren’t ALL BIKES death traps ? I know…some more than others. Buyer should always BEWARE. MHO, it’s on the buyer…

10. El Gaucho says:

Now that I clicked on Rich’s name I totally get it. Shameless promotion of his shop by bashing others. Too common these days. If you re-read my first paragraph in the bike feature, you’ll see I sold it as a ridable project that needed finishing. The buyer was well aware of this fact and even told me he had some really cool plans for it (which I do not want to spoil by sharing here). I’m hoping the new owner will see this and chime in. I’m hoping even more that he gets the bike finished and gives us all an update, because if he does with it what he told me he would, it’s gonna be a really neat ride.

I hope to see it.

12. patrick says:

hey man this is the guy u sold it to i ran into som problems but got them figured out i still ride it but i am hoping this winter i can do some paint and some other small touches

13. patrick says:

an rich dont bad mouth the guy he is nice and i knew i had some things that i need to do witch will be done it runs good now and i have been ridding every nice day so i have no problem with it

14. El Gaucho says:

Glad to hear from you, Patrick. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

15. El Gaucho says:

I don’t think I have any coils, but I do have a few sets of points that I was going to give you with the bike that we forgot about. If you want them, you know how to get a hold of me (facebook) and I’ll mail them out to you.

16. El Gaucho says:

Well, the next XS build will be starting this fall. It will be a sort of a mashup between Wabi Sabi and Unsprung hero, but with a twist. Some aspects of each bike will be integrated into the new bike so it will be a best of both plus some……I have a feeling I won’t be able to sell it after it’s done either!

17. El Gaucho says:

The new bike has been started as part of the TCU BBO build off. The update on Unsprung Hero is that Patrick sold it before he got to do all he had planned for it. I do not know the current owner, only that he first saw the bike here and had to have it and contacted Patrick to get it. I can’t wait until the new bike is done and ready to be posted here! And more importantly, ridden! If the current owner sees this post, please give us an update! Update us via a new submission here via Ted, of XS650chopper.com.