Peter Vasapolli – First bobber

xs650-chop-noid-2011-06-21_18-32-32_702

I picked this bike up by trading my 2000 CBR 600 for it. This is my first chopper/bobber and I am really enjoying it. Besides the hardtail and other obvious alterations this 1978is XS650 is pretty much stock. My biggest problem is getting the engine to start and run reliably. Some days it runs great and some days it shoots the carbs off.

xs650-chop-noid-2011-06-21_18-32-46_613

I plan on tearing the whole thing down this winter and have it roll out of the garage and start on the first kick and maintain a proper idling engine speed.

Comments

1. RightSaidFred says:

If you are still running points, I would recommend going to an electronic ignition system. I put the Boyer Bransden Micro Power Digital ignition system on my XS and have never once had a problem with it.

Great Color, Great Stance and Great Pipes…kinda looks like mine. THAT’S COOL !

3. junglebiker says:

ditto on the electronic ignition–I have the Pamco setup on mine along with the permanent magnet conversion, and it’s all much better than the original equipment. Might also want to clean your carbs and check your valve adjustment. Bike looks like a good place to start!

4. b says:

HOW BAD WAS THE CBR?

5. greg says:

I stuck with points and stock charging system. I wish I would have went with electronic ignition. I’m about to switch to a permeant mag soon.
    As for your problem:
    Check your auto advance unit, it should snap back if not replace the springs. check your timing first! points work fine, but you have to constantly adjust them. Also make sure your carbs are synced, and your cam chain tension is correct. Make sure your battery supplying enough power, even after long rides. If you do all this it should run like a top. If it is still backfiring start checking spark plugs, plug wires, coils, and condensers.

6. norm younger says: