First Build, What about Bob?

xs650-chop-noid-DSC_1281

Well what can I say, I think he turned out looking pretty nice for my first build. Its a 1979 Yamaha XS650. Its taken 7 months to complete and I wish I wouldn’t have lost my cell phone right before finishing the bike, because it had all my before and after pictures on there. Well besides that, lets get into how I acquired the bike and my first build.

xs650-chop-noid-DSC_1066

First off when I purchased the bike it already had The DNA springer mounted to it and a hardtail with a 4 inch stretch. Since I am 6’4″ I needed something with a little longer stretch with my long legs. G&L Choppers built a custom hardtail with a 5″ stretch for me and it worked out perfect.

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_0653

Right after receiving the hardtail the work, stress, and more work began. The guy I purchased the bike from had most of the parts but building and ordering more parts were needed.

xs650-chop-noid-DSC_1038

My brother is also building a XS650 but since he was laid up all summer due to a broken jaw, and soon after healing from that he broke his collar bone, I decided to rob a few parts off his bike to get mine running first.

xs650-chop-noid-DSC_1025

With his help, we built the handlebars to accept my long arms. They are 1″ bars, a 8″ rise, and a 2″ pull back. I used a clutch off of a 1960 Harley. The gas tank has two 1/4 ball vales for petcocks. We covered the seat in black deer skin, so it definitely helps with not sliding around on that little springer seat. My brother made the saddle bag and every stitch on it was hand sewn. The bike has 16″ stock xs rear wheel with 130 tire, and the front has a Harley stock 16″ with a 130 tire.

xs650-chop-noid-DSC_1022

I cant forget my helmet. My brother found 2 helmets sitting in this ladies front yard. He ended up purchasing both for $20 bucks, and one being a Fulmer. He added a little paint to mine with pearl white and lime green pinstripe. He changed out the liner to a black bandana.

xs650-chop-noid-DSC_1133

Hey it keeps me safe, kinda. The first true test drive, I took a ride to the gas station. There stood this old man in a 70’s model Cadillac convertible. He had the biggest grin on his face, gave me a big thumbs up and said “Now thats old school”

1 down and 1 to go, I cant wait to get my brothers done, to go rip up the streets of Fort Worth Texas.

Kelsey

Comments

1. jason ludwin says:

Bike is kick ass,great job on the build

2. bigpup says:

nice little bobber, looks real good, I like that springer with the fat harley wheel up front.

3. tadd442 says:

looks awesome…..did YOU break his collarbone while fighting for parts?

4. Sean from boston says:

Great movie… The bike is also quite great love the tank! And the springer keep up the good work when you do your brothers I look foward to seeing that one to!

5. BENNY says:

HEY IF IM NOT MISTAKEN I SOLD YOU THAT REAR WHEEL A FEW MONTHS BACK, LOOKING GOOD WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER AND GO RIP UP FORT WORTH LOL

6. muddman says:

I like your imagination grease nipples, none the less the bike is awsome and somethin I’d be proud to ride, thumbs up man, enjoy it.

7. Iron Alley says:

nice build tell me about those pipes? are they bought or built?

8. tadd442 says:

Free Dr. Wood!

9. Mick says:

Love the Bike. I just ordered the same springer you have. Mines 2 under and I’m going to cut it up and narrow it to 6 inches. My question is did the stock bearings work or did u have to put new bearing cups and bearing in the neck? If so what and where did u get them??? Please HELP… I cant get to sleep at night cause of this thing. I must have cut up that dang springer in my head at least thirty times last night.

Thanks,
    Mick

10. Kelsey says:

Hey thanks everyone for the comments. Iron Alley the pipes are from Mikes XS, Benny thats the wheel you sold me, I’m guessing you finished your bike you were working on? We def. all need go ride. email me and I will shoot yo my number kelsey_carter2@hotmail.com

11. jonny says:

I feel like this guy is trying to hard. The bike is cute and all, but what is different about this bike? What makes this bike different than most mid age crisis harleys? Thats right, Harleys. I say that because I have grown attached to the xs nation as a unique bunch who take an abnormal (considering what most people ride in the bobber/ chopper world) bike with a dynamic following and find unique ways to add their own twist and style to theirs. With this bike there is none of that. Oh, and you look pretty douchy posing in the background. We are down for bike pics, Not bike and matching doucher pics.
    im out

12. Grease Nipples says:

Jonny, don’t be “that guy.” The bike is really great. Lots of good handwork.

13. armando says:

nice choppa!

14. jonny says:

Grease Nipples, i am alright being that guy in this case. There have been some truly bitchin bikes on here. This is not one of them. Nothing unique or intriguing about it.

15. Kelsey says:

whaaa….whaaa….lets cry a little bit jonny. Where is your bike?

16. jonny says:

In my garage. I am in the process of having someone take pictures of me posing next to it. Wearing my helmet of course. I am even going to do a bunch of pushups before to make myself look all badass. Its going to be epic. Need to get the whole bike painted chrome first though.

17. BENNY says:

KELSEY DONT PAY NO MIND TO WHAT PEOPLE SAY WE ALL BUILD BIKES FOR OURSELVES AND IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT OTHER FOLKS LIKE OR DISLIKE AS LONG AS AT THE END OF THE DAY YOUR HAPPY. GOOD WORK NON THE LESS WHO DID YOUR POWDERCOATING ON FRAME I NEED MY FRAME DONE. ILL DEF EMAIL YA

18. Slim says:

Nice bike, good job on it. But for little johnny boy that thinks he has to make a profound statement to show everyone how obscure he is, needs to get that clapped out piece of crap running and let everyone bash his style. Obviously Kelsey put some work into this bike to call his own and fit his style. Don’t listen to little Johnny boy that has nothing better to do than make fun of other peoples bikes. Twinkle toes Johnny has to make fun of pictures and bikes because he is alone in his trailer, farming out his parts because he has little talent to put together a bike as nice as yours. Don’t listen to this tool bag and good job.

19. josh says:

dont listen to the haters. . . there is always one and they are usually without a bike.

20. BENNY says:

THATS THE BOTTOM LINE WE BUILD EM FOR OURSELVES BUT I PERSONALLY WILL POST UP PICS OF MY LIL XS400 WHEN ITS DONE, JUST CAUSE I AM PROUD OF THE WORK I DID AND WANT TO SHOW IT OFF HAHA. BUT WE ALL HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT SOME FOLKS JUST WONT LIKE OUR STYLE AND SOME WONT ITS ALL GOOD AT THE END OF THE DAY AND NO MATTER WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE A MOTORCYCLE IS FUN AS HELL TO RIDE, I THINK WE ALL CAN AGREE WITH THAT. JONNY IM WITH YOU ON COMIN ON HERE FROM TIME TO TIME FOR INSPIRATION AND I AGREE THAT THERE ARE SOME BIKES ON HERE THAT RUB ME THE WRONG WAY LOL. BUT WE ALL DECIDED TO BUILD YAMMYS INSTEAD OF HARLEY( BOOOOOOO) SO LETS JUST BE FRIENDS 🙂

21. Grease Nipples says:

@BENNY

Nah.

lol

22. rusty says:

Great bike regardless of what anyone thinks. I recently picked up three 650s and Im building a brat and a hardtail-springer bike. I also live in FtWorth and would love to hear from anyone local thats into these. These are my first and cant wait to hit the streets.

23. max says:

hate hate hate hate hate!
    i love all the HATE!
    AMERICUH!!!!!!!!!!

24. Garry says:

This bike is awesome! I love the build. I’ve always wanted to build a bike and the 650’s are just so dang cool. I’m 6’7″ so the stretch is the way I will have to go. I live in Burleson so maybe I’ll see you out and about in Cowtown.

25. Mick says:

If anyone was wanting to know the answer to the springer conversion question i had. Here is what I did. Below is what The easiest thing I found. It,s one cup that makes it work.
    I got one new off E-bay for $45.

Fork Conversion Adaptors for Early Yamaha
    $69.99
    These cup adaptors allow the use of Harley Davidson and after market style HD front ends and springers to your early Yamaha frame.
    Now you can use a Harley Davidson or DNA springer and the many aftermarkets on your Bobber project. We have engineered these to use original ball bearings and cups. No welding involved, simple insertion and grinding is all.

Mick

26. Blackwidow says:

real nice

27. Chris says:

Rusty, shoot me an email. I’m in Bedford. icetoeman@gmail.co_m

28. scott says:

gotta disagree w/ biggup – a fat tire on a long, tall front end looks odd at best.