Lucky Maria

R Rule-xs

no time, little cash, and alot of help
Hey my name is Russ and this is The Lucky Maria. Put this bike together on needed luck, no time, little cash, and alot of help. It was built for a show called the Dirt Bag Challenge, held in San Francisco, which is a low budget chopper build off. The requirements are 1 month to build, and 1000 dollar limit.

R Rule xs650 chopper
It was the first real project me and my father put together and we both were very well impressed with the final product. We had a few things donated by frineds and we even got some help from the good people at Ardcore! (Thanx again guys).

I drove from my home town in Sacramento to San Francisco every weekend and slammed out as much as we could for the 4 weekends we had.  Went smooth for the most part until we hit the wiring but we eventually got that worked out.

D-day came around and rode with the other dirt bags, about 20 in total. Partied at the end of the ride with plenty of food, beer, and smoky rubber clouds. Ended up winning the prettiest chopper award.

R Rule xs650 chopper2
This build was my first build, my first bike, and my first show that i competed in and won. Still have a few more things to do to it untill i can say im done with it but its an absolute blast and can’t wait to build one for the next Dirt Bag.

R Rule

Comments

1. Russ says:

looks real damn good for a first build, I like the rules for the challenge,verry imprisive.

2. 62pyro says:

Great looking first time build.I’m getting ready to pick one up and this gives me alot of inspiration.I like the simple,clean look.

3. josh says:

Great job man. I like the rules for the contest & the fact that you all went out for beers. To me that’s what it’s all about. I just built my first bike (an xs650) my budget was $1000 originally but I was unable to stick to it.

4. REEB says:

nice simple and clean! I have read about the DB comp before and it sounds cool. Wish I had something like that around here. But how do they know if someone goes over a g? Cause that would be easy to do!

5. R Rule says:

For the most part its a trusted thing but be ready to explain if questioned.

6. shaydaddy says:

love the bike and the contest. we need more buildoffs like these. Then maybe we could get some more builders on the scene. wish we had a contest like that here in ohio. I get so sick of looking at $20,000-$100,000 “choppers”. I mean for real. Chopping is about using what you got, making it work, and having fun with it. how much fun can you have rolling a $100,000 bike on and off the trailer while worrying about scratching the $10,000 paint and chrome.

7. chevy53 says:

thats a cool contest. and a cool bike. are those dirtbike bars burned upside down?

8. chevy53 says:

damn i suck a typing, i ment are they are the bars turned upside down

9. R Rule says:

Yeah just some cheap 25 dollar fly bar cut the cross member and turned upside down lol

10. chevy53 says:

right on man i like it.

11. ShadyDaddy…- Man You SAID it…- those 30,000 to 70,000 dollar bikes are nothing but a gross putrifaction….WHAT ARE THEY DOING???? WHA????????…
    God I so Love It, – R.Rule builds a bike like this for ONE GRAND!!!
    Very cool contest…- put’s all of the fun back into it all…and at a contest like that is where you would see all of the best ideas…- Ideas of guys who LOVE motorcycles, – and love BUILDING them….
    I dont mind seeing the aftermarket guys make a good living…- and I dont mind paying a machinist or upolsterer or an expert welder to weld a gastank for me…and I dont mind ordering exhaust pipes from a guy who works hard on them and devotes time to XS650’s….- when I know thier heart is in the same place as mine…- but when I see those idiot bikes with two feet of air space between the engine and the gastank, – six foot extended front end and a two foot wide rear tire…for 53,000…..- That guy doesnt have any need for a motorcycle, -He needs a psychiatrist….

12. SHAY I mean…- lol…(Shady???)

13. Toe' says:

who did the Lucky Maria water jet chain tensioner ? and is there a contact , I would like one made for my 1967 Triumph chopper thanks in advance Toe’

14. Toe' says:

Ps Thats a fine ride there congrats”