My home built XS650 Chopper

xs650_032209_1

Don’t need a ton of cash

I bought this stock \’77 XS650 for $675. It took $1,100. and about eight weeks to put her together. I cut and welded the frame and made all the brackets and acessories (electrical-oil bag, battery box, etc.) Just goes to show that you don’t need a ton of cash to build something cool.xs650_032209_5

xs650_032209_7

xs650_032209_8

xs650_032209_9a

Thanks Wally Reeves

Comments

1. Steve says:

Nice looking bike , great job !

2. Denis (Billy Joe Fong) fong bros says:

Very solid tastefully designed bike. Not overdone – very clean!

3. Wally says:

Thanks for the comments. Getting a shout out from Billy Joe Fong, That’s awesome! (your bikes rock man)

4. knoll says:

nicely done. it looks as though it came from the factory with a hard tail.

5. mike narozny says:

Nice ride! where in NY are your at ? I live near Binghamton NY

6. Wally says:

I’m just outside of Buffalo NY. About 160 miles from Binghamton.

7. Collin says:

Great lines. One of the best home jobs I’ve seen. seriously nice work.

8. Caetans says:

Nice bike! perfect job!

9. Rusty Nutz says:

Just about exactly what I’m looking to do with my ’80. Looks like stock wheelbase? What is the ground clearance? How high is the seat off the ground?

10. Turnster says:

Looks awesome! What are you using for the clutch lever and throttle assemblies? Are they stock?

11. Denny says:

Ted,

I have a ’77 myself that I’m working on. Really like the look of your’s – a couple of questions: Where did you get the rear fender? Tank?

12. spider says:

fantastic looking bike. building one myself. you could be a Mentor for the rest of us novices.

13. Ostrich says:

Beautiful bike. I saw it listed in my local Craigs List a week or so ago. I hadn’t heard of bobbers before seeing the ad, which ended up leading me to this site (and a bunch of other bobber sites). If I’d have had the money… Sucks to be broke 🙂 Hope to someday build my own.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

14. Jason says:

Great looking bike Ted! I just found a 77 xs650 for $375 and am seriously considering buying it for my first bobber project, especially after seeing how little money it took for you to transform your 77. If you wouldn’t mind, I have a few questions: Did you fab your seat, or have it made? Did you keep the points or convert to electric ignition? (I think the 77 is still points!?) Thanks, just trying to get somewhat of a budget together before making the purchase!

15. Tackett says:

Beautiful and tasteful. Are there any pictures with a rider on the bike? I’m wondering about placement of the footpegs and a tall rider.

16. Kyle says:

Nice bike! ive been really intrested in building on, but i dont really know to much about it, any good advice anyone? looking to keep it cheap, something along the lines of this..

17. Mike says:

Very nice bike! thats pretty simular to what im trying to do with my 75. “less is more” is what im calling it. Im really a big fan of the fender. May i ask where it was purchased from?

Thanks!